The first time I had to take my newborn and my toddler out ALONE (i.e. no hubby, no babysitter) was on the day of a close friend’s son’s birthday party at Jane’s Carousel. I was scared out of my mind. What if my toddler had a meltdown over which horse he wanted to ride at the precise moment my infant had a poop explosion? What if I was in the middle of nursing my infant when my toddler suddenly bolted and disappeared behind one of the boulders by the water? Also, it was one of those oppressively steamy summer days where simply walking one block feels like wading through a hot tub. Cue superhero music, because I realized I was saved when I opened my closet and pulled out my new Stokke MyCarrier Cool.
What sets this carrier apart from the others is its breathability. The carrier is made of a mesh material, similar to that used in sportswear, which helps transport moisture away from the body. It is the perfect carrier for a hot day when wearing a hot baby. I also like the way that it distributes the weight of carrying the baby across multiple areas such as my back, waist, and shoulders, (rather than just one area of the body). Another plus when dealing with a fragile newborn — it is easy to strap the baby in without any assistance. There are no buckles to reach behind your back or straps that you need someone else to pull to help tighten the carrier.
Of course, when we got to the party, my toddler didn’t waste a moment saying hi to the birthday boy. He wanted to go straight to the carousel. I dashed after him, grateful that I was wearing my baby and didn’t have to waste time wrangling him from a stroller. I had hoped to simply put my toddler on a horse and then be able to watch him from the sidelines, but my toddler had other plans. “No Mommy! Stay with me! Ride with me!” I explained that I couldn’t get onto the horse with him but that I would stand by his side. As the bell that signals the start of the ride rang, he reached one arm around my neck to make sure I wasn’t planning on going anywhere. And that’s when I realized I had placed him on one of the horses that goes up and down. And because most of these days I am propelled by guilt for having had a second baby, I didn’t release myself from his choke hold. As the horse rode up into the air, so did Baby and I. I stood on my tippy toes and clenched my teeth every time the horse reached its highest point, and took deep breaths whenever I was released back to the earth. It was a bumpy ride to say the least, but Baby was none the wiser. He snoozed through my whole ordeal, happy and cool in his carrier.
Thankfully, when the Ride From Hell was over, we ran into one of my and my son’s best friends. My son quickly lost interest in me, and couldn’t wait to ride the horses with his BFF. I got to take a little break and have a piece of birthday cake, before rejoining the kids on the carousel — this time, with a little more breathing room.
A few more details about the Stokke MyCarrier Cool:
- It’s suitable from birth and up to 3 years with 2-way front and back carrying.
- Ergonomically designed so that in the parent-facing position the child has the “Happy Hips” posture – a broad seating position with good support of back, buttocks and thighs.
- Plenty of support under baby’s buttocks when facing outwards.
- Optional head support, for when the child is sleeping, is available in a pocket on the back carrier.
- The carrier features an ergonomically designed waist belt, back support and shoulder straps for parents.
- Pockets on both sides of waist belt for storing items such as keys or cards.
- Made using the same breathable mesh technology used for many types of sportswear, allowing better airflow for cooling and transporting moisture away from the body.
- The mesh is water and wind resistant; perfectly suited to warmer climates and active or extended use.
- All adjustments are within reach for the parent.
Main harness with integrated hip belt
Aluminum support to be placed in the main harness for back carrying support
The Stokke MyCarrier Cool is available in Cream or Black and retails for $219.99.
Brunch With My Baby received a Stokke MyCarrier Cool for reviewing purposes. All opinions are our own.